Join journalists from New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and the surrounding area as they discuss Children and Family journalism issues. Reporters and Editors from news organizations including The Philadelphia Inquirer, the Star-Ledger, the (Baltimore) Sun and the Tampa Bay Times will share their projects and stories about children & families journalism. This kind of journalism gives "voice to the voiceless" by focusing on issues like: rising autism rate, juvenile justice, child welfare, opioid addiction, vaccines and family immigration.
Lane DeGregory, winner of the 2009 Pulitzer Prize in Feature Writing, will be the Keynote Speaker.
Credit: Cherie Diez, Tampa Bay Times
DeGregory "prefers telling stories about people in the shadows. She went to work with a 99-year-old man who still swept out a seafood warehouse, hung out beneath a bridge with a colony of sex offenders, followed a feral child who was adopted."
The conference will also feature six discussion panels and a lunch. Rowan University is centrally located in South Jersey, about 20 minutes from both Philadelphia and from Exit 2 of the New Jersey Turnpike.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Kristen Graham, Education reporter at The Philadelphia Inquirer
- Susan K. Livio, Health, Social Issues and Politics reporter at the Star-Ledger
- Kim Mulford, former Senior Reporter at the Courier-Post
- Yvonne Wenger, Poverty and Social Welfare reporter at the (Baltimore) Sun
- Ann Givens, Law Enforcement Reporter at The Trace
- College psychologists Dr. Stacey Cahn and Dr. Steff Lyon-Stirling
Come Join Us!
Date and Time
Sat, May 30, 2020
10:00 AM - 4:00 PM EDT
- $30 - General public ($25 if purchased before May 1, 2020)
- $5 - Rowan Students (must be logged in to the Marketplace with your rowan email address for discount to occur)
- Free - Rowan Employees (must be logged in to the Marketplace with your rowan email address for discount to occur)
Rohrer College of Business
201 Mullica Hill Road
Glassboro, NJ 08028
Refunds up to 30 days before event (May 1, 2020)
- What are my transportation/parking options for getting to and from the event?
Yes! There is ample free parking in the lot next to the Rohrer College of Business on Route 322 in Glassboro, NJ.
- How can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Please contact Prof. Kathryn Quigley of the Rowan University Journalism Department at email@example.com or 856-256-4132.