OPIOID ADDICTION PREVENTION TRAINING FOR NEW JERSEY NURSES AND ATHLETIC TRAINERS
ENDURING COURSE: Registration now open
Time of Enduring Course: One hour
This is the fourth of six modules of a live webinar and enduring course series on opioid addiction prevention. This is module is designed to train and inform New Jersey nurses and athletic trainers on best practices in caring for patients who take opioid prescriptions.
TARGET AUDIENCE: Licensed Practical Nurses, Registered Nurses, Athletic Trainers
OBJECTIVES: At the conclusion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Understand the origins and current status of the opioid epidemic.
- Recognize limitations on acute and chronic pain support including discussing alternatives to opioid use with patients when appropriate, and reinforcing how to take opioids appropriately if prescribed.
- Identify early intervention and assessment of patients at risk of developing opioid use disorder (OUD).
- Understand the effectiveness of medication-assisted treatment (MAT) in treating OUD and special populations.
- Practice and recommend patient communication strategies.
- Instruct parents on proper management, storage, and disposal of opioids, especially around children, and how to safely manage children's opioid use, if prescribed.
- Be equipped to respond to overdoses and teach patients and their loved ones how naloxone saves lives.
- Discuss how to prevent stigma associated with substance use issues and treatment, and considerations when treating mothers and newborns, adolescents, and athletes.
This enduring course satisfies the statutory mandate that nurses and athletic trainers obtain one credit in continuing education programs concerning prescription opioid drugs as a condition of licensure renewal.
Upon successful completion of the enduring course, participants will receive a certificate of completion, and should retain it in accordance with their relevant licensing board’s regulations.
To receive full credit, you must be present for the entire enduring course activity.
To receive a certificate of completion, complete the Pre-Assessment, Post-Assessment, and Knowledge Assessment.
Hearing Impaired Registrants: The enduring course will contain closed captioning.
For questions pertaining to the New Jersey Board of Nursing, Athletic Training Advisory Committee, and module content, please contact Patricia Fortunato, Content Manager/Program Manager at email@example.com
For technical support with registration and access to the module, please contact the Rowan Online Marketplace Center at (856) 256-5164, or submit an email ticket here.